Study Abroad for non-language student?

Irina Shevelenko shevelenko at MAIL.LANCK.NET
Thu Feb 1 06:28:22 UTC 2007

Correction to a previous posting on this subject:

Bard-Smolny program indeed accepts students whose major is not necessarily
in Russian, but we do require that students have completed, at least, two
years of college level Russian (or equivalent). Our entrance test is based
on "V puti". Our semester/academic year program offers 8 credits of
instruction in Russian as a foreign language every semester, and students
earn up to 12 more credits by taking academic courses from our regular
course offerings in humanities and social sciences (we are a full-time
degree granting liberal arts college within St. Petersburg State University,
with some 400 Russian students enrolled in our four-year BA program). Most
of our academic courses are taught in Russian. We have indeed 4-6 academic
courses taught in English every semester (in various disciplines), but it is
a very limited choice. We will not admit a student who does not meet our
Russian language requirement (test comes with our application form), and we
do not offer Elementary Russian in our Russian as a foreign language
program.

For the summer program (4 or 8 weeks), we admit students with, at least, one
year of college level Russian. Academic courses are not offered in summer,
although we offer three thematic components incorporated in our language
instruction. All of them are taught in Russian.

Irina Shevelenko

Associate Dean of International Students
Smolny College
shevelenko at mail.lanck.net