The article in the New Yorker

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere darancourlaferriere at COMCAST.NET
Thu Feb 1 06:58:02 UTC 2007

31 Jan 07

Dear Colleagues,
The article by Michael Specter in THE NEW YORKER (29 Jan 07) does have
its shortcomings (e.g., the Siberia/Yakutia gaffe), but the article also
catches the general drift toward top-down control and bottom-up
compliance which is occurring in the Russian Federation today.  Those
who resist this trend are in danger.  In our country you can call George
W. Bush an idiot or a shrub or whatever in the press - and survive.  But
if in the Russian press today you refer to that country's president as
Akakii Akakievich Putin - then the kontrol'nyi vystrel is a real
possibility.

The gradual crackdown on the media - or the increasing willingness of
the media (especially television) to toe the line - is ominous.  Andrei
Norkin was cut off in mid-sentence.  Can you imagine that happening to
Walter Cronkite?

For an insightful study of what has been going on in the media, I
recommend the recent article in RUSSIAN LIFE (Jan-Feb 2007, pp. 28-39)
by Alex Lupis, titled "Freedoms Found and Lost."

For the increasing xenophobia and ethnonationalism which has been
developing under Putin, I recommend the BIGOTRY MONITOR.

For general trends in all areas of Russian society today, the JOHNSON
RUSSIA LIST is a very rich source.

With regards,

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere
Emeritus Professor of Russian