Freedom of speech

Fri Feb 2 19:10:23 UTC 2007

Thomas Anessi wrote:

> ... I agree that acts of hate and articles promoting violence should
> be prosecutable, but I also believe that they currently are.  Perhaps
>  it is a distraction to bring the ACLU issue to this forum, but to me
> it is a perfect example of how many Americans would rather have the
> government take action regardless of the Constitution.  But it is not
> the defense of hate speech that raises the ire of most Americans
> against the ACLU. It is their annoying habit of defending atheists
> against publicly funded celebrations of Christmas.

If the shoe were on the other foot, most Americans would get the point
that the ACLU is an ally and defender of their freedom. Imagine that
America were run by atheists who used government funds to promote their
views. How offensive would that be to the millions of Christians? The
genius of the founders was to see, in the light of then-recent abuses by
various proselytizing European governments, that government must remain
strictly neutral on matters of religion. And it is this neutrality that
the Christians will not accept. In their hypocritical view, government
must remain neutral (read "indifferent") with respect to other faiths or
lack thereof, but actively partisan with respect to Christianity.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com