press freedoms

David Powelstock pstock at BRANDEIS.EDU
Sat Feb 3 02:09:35 UTC 2007

Sergey is right on the money again, IMHO:
"There was an assumption that the growth of prosperity, access to goods and
information will automatically strengthen civil society and lead to a more
democratic and liberal setting. Now we know it's not the case. You can have
growing middle class, a lot of sources of information, free travel, and yet
a rise in xenofobia and support for a less democratic government... "

Civil society and the other traits we associate with liberal democracy
didn't arise immediately with the rise of the middle class in most Europe,
either, so who knows what the future will bring in Russia. Once the middle
class becomes sufficiently comfortable economically, it may decide that it
wants a greater share of political power. If so, the real question is how
future regimes will respond to that. But one can also worry about what sorts
of institutional barriers to the redistribution of power arise in the
meantime. I recall reading some scholarship in college that spoke to a shift
to values beyond the economic once a certain degree of economic stability
had been achieved.  I wish I could remember the term.

Oh, well.  So much for socio-economic analysis by a literary scholar . . . .

Cheers,
David

David Powelstock
Asst. Prof. of Russian & East European Literatures
Chair, Program in Russian & East European Studies
Brandeis University
GRALL, MS 024
Waltham, MA  02454-9110
781.736.3347 (Office)