press freedoms

Michele A Berdy maberdy at ONLINE.RU
Sat Feb 3 06:48:16 UTC 2007

You know, I think the problem in understanding the situation is that you
are judging by Internet from afar.  Internet is very deceptive. I travel
outside the capitals, and there is not the same range of national press
available, and when it is available, it's more expensive.  There are a few
places that have a lively media scene, but mostly in coverage of local
issues.

Yes, if I lived in Tula, I could, if I really wanted to, have access to
other kinds of press.  But first, I'd have to know it exists.  Second, I'd
have to go out of my way to get it.  Third, it would cost more.  Fourth, I
have to some incling that I'm not getting the whole story from TV.  How
would I know that in Tula?  (It's easier for people with Internet, but that
is a small percentage of the population.)  Say I've just come home from a
hard day at work, made dinner for my family, listened to my kids natter
about stuff they want to buy and I can't afford, done a load of laundry,
and finally sit down at 9 pm to watch Vremya.  I see a report of the
pipeline dispute.  I hear the announcer tell me that the Europeans have
just lamblasted Belorussia for this.  I see a number of Russian officials
lamblast Belorussia and explain why they had to do this, why they are a
reliable energy partner and that the West is just afraid of us because we
are strong.  How on earth would I know that that isn't quite the whole, or
the accurate, story?  But let's say, for the sake of argument, I'm curious.
I'd have to take my weary bones to the library, to an internet cafe (filled
with kids, where I'm going to be embarrassed that I don't know how to do
anything), or, if I were lucky, I could call a friend who has internet at
home and ask to come over.  But that's a tremendous amount of effort.  Do
you want to blame Russians for not wanting to do all that?  What American
would do all that?

So, yes, the coverage of Ekho Mosvy is fairly broad, but the reach isn't.
People at the station cite half million as their regular listeners.

Professor Denner said he felt like Lewis Carroll talking about this, and
it is beyond-the-looking-glass-ish. I wrote and write again that this is
not the Soviet model of censorship.  It isn't total, either in media or in
subjects. Here's a telling example: Andrei Norkin received the best TV
host Tefi award for his show on RTV1, which is NOT on the regular channels
(it can only be accessed on cable) and is not seen by something like 95
percent of the population. That's weird to begin with. In the awards show
he thanked the academy and then thanked Vladimir Gusinsky and Igor
Malashchenko, who own/run the channel.  The audience applauded.His thanks
and the applause were cut from the broadcast of the show on regular TV.
But the fact that it was cut was discussed on Ekho Moskvy, in newspapers,
and on the Internet.   So about 85 percent of the population has no idea
that his station is run by Gusinsky and Malashchenko, and no idea that the
academy applauded when they heard their names. And about 15 percent do.