Russian Ark & other musings, questions

Kristi Groberg Kristi.Groberg at NDSU.EDU
Thu Feb 15 14:09:40 UTC 2007

At 21:30 14.02.2007, you wrote:
>Has anyone seen the film Russian Ark?  I've read some reviews and it
>sounds like it gives a general historical overview of Russia (300
>years worth) over the course of an hour and a half.

There is an effective way to show "Russian Ark" to my upper division
Art History students. I teach Russian Art & Architecture, but the
student body I work with is comprised of studio artists, so none of
them have Russian or a background in Russian History. And none of
them are going to be art historians.  Therefore this film, which is
stunning, would have little meaning for them in Russian. But, if you
get the DVD, there are a couple of documentaries on it that are
terrific. One is the full length film, narrated by the
English-speaking German producer. He not only explains what is
happening in the film, he discusses Russian History, and he also
explains the problems he had making the film and the techniques that
were used. My students are usually fascinated with this. There is
also a documentary on the DVD that was made by a boy who looks to be
about 13, and who is fascinated with the Hermitage and the people who
work in it.

Hope this helps,

Kris Groberg