ACTR Post-Sec Laureate Program

Cynthia A. Ruder raeruder at UKY.EDU
Thu Feb 15 20:22:40 UTC 2007

Post-Secondary Russian Scholar Laureate Award

Colleagues!

	ACTR is pleased to announce the establishment of the Post-Secondary
Russian Scholar Laureate Award.  Based on the success of the
Secondary School Russian Scholar Laureate Award program, we seek to
implement this program at the college/university level in order to
recognize our outstanding students who are studying Russian.  This
program is a wonderful way to applaud the efforts of our best
students while letting them know that we in the field appreciate and
value their achievements.  Moreover, because this is a selective
program, students will be able to exploit the award as further
testament to their skills and abilities as they enter the job market.
	The success of this program depends on you and me--Russian
instructors at the college/university level.  With that in mind I
encourage you to nominate a student from your institution to receive
this honor.  In order to assist you in submitting a nomination,
please follow these guidelines:

1.   Departments (be they independent or part of a larger Modern
Language department) may nominate ONE student from either the junior
or senior class.

2.  Eligibility is based on achievement and interest in Russian as
demonstrated by enrollment in language courses, student GPA,
participation in programs such as exchanges, NPSREC (National Post-
Secondary Russian Essay Contest), Russian clubs or Russian houses, a
Russian major or minor. Note that a Russian major is not necessarily
a requirement for the award. We encourage you to nominate that
student who is the "star" of your program and who personifies a
dedication and commitment to Russian that is unparalleled among her/
his peers.

3.  Nominations are to be submitted--electronically or via regular
mail--by Department chairpersons.  Be sure the nomination is
submitted on departmental letterhead.  Send the nominations to Prof.
Cynthia Ruder at the address below.*

4.   Nominating instructors must be current ACTR members.**
	**(It is never too late to join ACTR:)).  Simply go to the
www.americancouncils.org web site.  On the main page click the "Get
Involved" tab on the left side.  Then click "ACTR MEMBERSHIP" from
the list in the center of the page.  From there either download the
membership form and submit it or contact ACTR Secretary George Morris
at actrmbrs at sbcglobal.net.  It is easy, fast, and inexpensive.  Plus
you get the ACTR Newsletter and a subscription to RLJ, the Russian
Language Journal, with the appropriate membership fee.)

5.  DEADLINE FOR NOMINATIONS IS 15 MARCH 2007.  Each Laureate will
receive notification and an award certificate in April 2007.

We encourage you to avail your students of this program--it is free!
Help us show our best and brightest students how much we value their
commitment to Russian.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me at
raeruder at uky.edu.  I anxiously await your nominations!

Sincerely,  Cindy Ruder					*Russian Studies/MCL
										University of Kentucky
										1055 Patterson
										Lexington, KY  40506-0027		OR AT   raeruder at uky.edu

Cynthia A. Ruder