Call for Submissions: The Birch--an Undergraduate Journal of Eastern European and Eurasian Culture

Mark Krotov mk2455 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Sun Feb 18 03:38:06 UTC 2007

To All Professors and Slavic Instructors:

In 2005, a group of undergraduates at Columbia University founded *The Birch
,* an undergraduate journal of Eastern European and Eurasian culture. Over
the last two years, we have published four issues that showcase a great
diversity of creative work and critical commentaries.

Though the first two issues of *The Birch* published submissions from
Columbia and Barnard undergraduates exclusively, for our third issue, we
began to accept submissions from all interested undergraduates regardless of
their university affiliation, and the same holds true for our forthcoming
issue, which will be released in April.

*The Birch* is one of few places where undergraduates can publish poems,
fiction, photography, literary criticism and current events articles related
to Eurasian and Eastern European culture. The journal is completely
student-run, and undergraduates select and edit the journal's content. Our
student editors are currently in the process of e-mailing undergraduate
students at colleges and universities in order to publicize our call for
submissions.

We hope you will join us in the strengthening and expansion of the first
national undergraduate publication devoted to Eastern European and Eurasian
culture. You can find more information about the journal, as well as
published articles from our first four issues, online at
www.thebirchonline.org. Please visit the site for more information, and feel
free to send me an e-mail at mk2455 at columbia.edu if you have any questions.
Due dates for the next issue are as follows:

All submissions are due MARCH* 21

* We hope you will encourage your students to submit to the journal. Please
instruct them to contact us if they have any questions. Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Mark Krotov
Editor-In-Chief, *The Birch**
*www.thebirchonline.org