Autobiographies 20th century

Deborah Hoffman lino59 at AMERITECH.NET
Sun Feb 18 22:02:23 UTC 2007

Also Evgeniia Ginzburg, Krutoi Marshrut and Evfrosiniia Kersnovskaia, Skol'ko stoit chelovek.

SEELANGS automatic digest system <LISTSERV at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU> wrote:

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 20:11:41 +0000
From: Alexandra Smith
Subject: Re: Autobiographies 20th century

Dear Nicole,

It's a belated response to your question regards women's
autobiographical writing published in the 20th century or related to it.

I think that you might be interested in considering a few items below such a=
s:

1. Marja Rytkonen. Women's Histories: Autobiographical Texts by
Contemporary Russian Women, Helsinki, 2001. (she writes on Emma
Gerstein, Svetlana Aleksievich, Elena Bonner, Maria Arbatova).

http://www.helsinki.fi/aleksanteri/english/publications/ap_1-2001.pdf

2. Emma Gershtein. Memuary, St Petersburg, 1998. (translated as Moscow
Memoirs, translated by John Crowfoot, The Harvill Press, 2004). This
book was awarded a small Booker prize.

3. Bella Akhmadulina. Mnogo sobak I sobaka: Proza razykh let. Eksmo,
2005. (it includes essays, memoirs,passages from her diaries, etc.).

4. Petrushevskaia, L. malen'kaia devochka iz Metropolia, St
Petersburg, Amfora, 2006.

5. Vasilenko, Svetlana. Novye amazonki. (Moscow, 2001):
http://www.m-m.sotcom.ru/11-13/vasilen4.htm

6. On Nadezhda Mandelshtam's memoirs and Chukovskaya's
autobiographical writing see: Beth Holmgren, Women's Works in Stalin's
Time. On Lidiia Chukovskaia and Nadezhda Mandelstam, Bloomington and
Indianapolis 1993)

7.Pushkareva, Natalia. Women in Russian History, 1997. (translated by
Eve Leven). (See the details for the Russian version located at this =20
website address: http://www.pushkareva.da.ru/)

8.Some women memoirs are discussed in this book: Holmgren, Beth,
editor. "The Russian Memoir: History and Literature" (Evanston:
Northwestern University Press, 2003).

9. On Tsvetaeva's autobiographical writing see: Karin Grelz. Beyond =20
the Noise of Time: Readings of Marina Tsvetaeva?s Memories of =20
Childhood, (Stockholm Studies in Russian Literature 35), Stockholm, =20
2004.

All best,
Alexandra

  Dear all,

I'm writing a work on autobiographies from russian woomen during the 20th
centuary, if possible writers. I know already on the autobiography of
Lyudmila Petrusevskaya, Nina Berberova and Ol'ga Bergolz. I'm very thankful
for more informations on this topic.
Also i'm very interested in getting informations on secundary-literature to
this named autobiographies, especially reactions, critics and... to
"devyatyj tom" from Lyudmila Petrusevskaya, which was recently published.

Thank you a lot for all!

Best wishes
Nicole
(student slavistic, Switzerland)