Guardian on Putin's speech

Elena Gapova e.gapova at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Mon Feb 26 02:17:12 UTC 2007

But this is not about "Russian intelligentsia trading on their principles"
at all!

This is about voting behaviour. Which is guided by interests. People vote
for what (they think) is best for them (don't you, for example?). And
Russians are no different.

e.g.

(I feel a bit awkward speaking for "Russian intelligentsia" - no one endowed
me, and I am "not Russian" (not a Russian citizen, and never even "lived in
Russia"), but I think this is a technicality in this conversation; I am also
uneasy about belonging to "intelligentsia", esp. after Andrey Synyavsky's
book on it, but this, again, is a formality).