Eastern Orthodox calendar: -14? - 13?

Prof Steven P Hill s-hill4 at UIUC.EDU
Mon Feb 26 05:12:17 UTC 2007

Dear colleagues:

Once upon a time, studying Russian history, I learned (or seem to recall
learning) that in the 19th century the Eastern Orthodox calendar ran
12 days behind the West European (Catholic) calendar, and that in the
20th century the E Orthodox calendar ran 13 days behind.  So far, so good.

So my expectation was that in the 21st century the E Orthodox calendar
would run 14 (fourteen) days behind.  But I've encountered some indications
that even in this 21st century the "time lag" is still 13 (thirteen) days.

If I was wrong, where did I go wrong?

Gratefully,
Steven P Hill,
University of Illinois.