Eastern Orthodox calendar: -14? - 13?

Nathan Longan nathanlongan at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 26 21:44:59 UTC 2007

The divisible by 400 rule is right.  Pope Gregory had an easier job that it
might have been convincing people to change in 1582 because the extra day
per century (besides the ten added in 1582) wouldn't kick in for 118 years.

Imagine the trauma of going to bed on October 4, 1582 and waking up on
October 15, 1582.   Ben Franklin was pretty peeved when the British empire
decided that September 2, 1752 would be followed by September 14, 1752.  See
Daniel Boorstin's book The Discoverers for a very good discussion.  Also
check out the "Revized Julian Calendar" article in wikipedia.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revised_Julian_calendar for a mind boggling
variation.

Or, just be grateful that at least once in a while Rome celebrates Pascha
with the Orthodox, as happens this year.
nathan longan

On 2/26/07, Gerald J. Sabo <gsabo at jcu.edu> wrote:

> I think if the first year of the "century" is divisible by 400, then
> another day is NOT added.  This is what I once heard, but have no printed
> reference for this.  However, in recently "googling" Russian Orthodox
> calendar I reached the website with calendar for the Holy Trinity monastery
> in New York which gave the Gregorian and Julian dates, and there was still
> simply a thirteen day difference for years in 2000--Jerry Sabo.

Nathan Longan, PhD
Resident Director
CIEE Study Center
St. Petersburg, Russia