Kirov

Klawa Thresher kthresher at RMWC.EDU
Wed Feb 28 16:59:14 UTC 2007

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could elucidate me about a
footnote in a book that states that Kirov was "Secretary of the Central
Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union" and then goes on
about his assassination.  What exactly was the "Secretary" - as compared
to the "Secretary General" (which I assumed that Stalin occupied at this
time).  I had also thought that Kirov's most important position at this
time was as head of the Party in Leningrad (and that there was interest
in having him replace Stalin as Secretary General, thus leading to some
of Stalin's paranoia).

Please respond off-list to kthresher at rmwc.edu.

Thank you very much in advance.

With best wishes,