Iskander and Stalin

eric r laursen eric.laursen at M.CC.UTAH.EDU
Tue Jan 2 17:26:13 UTC 2007

There's a Voinovich short story in the Penguin 20th Century anthology entitled "Circle of Friends."

From: Robert Chandler
Sent: Mon 1/1/2007 11:01 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Iskander and Stalin

Dear all,

I'm teaching a course for the first time on post-Stalin literature.  SANDRO
OF CHEGEM will be a set text.  Iskander's portraits of Stalin and his
entourage are memorable.  In case any students want to make comparisons,
what other good portraits of these people are there in Russian literature?
I'm not well read in this period and I know only of a chapter in THE FIRST
CIRCLE, a chapter in LIFE AND FATE, and a section of Grossman's wonderful
story 'Mama'.

And while I'm about it, does this seem like a good choice of extracts from
SANDRO?  Any other chapter anyone would esp. recommend?
Sandro of Chegem (САНДРО ИЗ ЧЕГЕМА)
Gamblers (ИГРОКИ)
Belshazzar's Feasts (ПИРЫ БАЛТАСАРА)
Old Khabag's Mule (РАССКАЗ МУЛА СТАРОГО ХАБУГА )

Best wishes to all of you for 2007!

Robert