national Slavistics meetings in late 2007

Prof Steven P Hill s-hill4 at UIUC.EDU
Wed Jan 3 22:53:10 UTC 2007

Dear colleagues:

I note that some hard-working scholars are making every effort to form
complete panels for the November '07 meeting of AAASS in New Orleans.
Let's hope they will succeed in their efforts.

If any scholars would like to form a panel but cannot meet AAASS's
extremely early deadline, keep in mind that a similar organization,
AATSEEL [Amer. Assoc. Tchrs. Slav. E. Eur. Langs.] is scheduled to
have ITS annual (inter)national meeting in Chicago, appx. December
27 - 30, 2007 (same time, same city, as the enormous MLA [Mod.
Lang. Assoc.] annual meeting).  You might try to organize a panel
under AATSEEL jurisdiction, if you miss out on AAASS.

Let me mention that AATSEEL, although it's smaller,  may even have
a couple of advantages over AAASS.  (1) 1st (preliminary) deadline
to submit abstracts (and/or pre-formed panels) is April 2007; and
the 2d (final) deadline is August 1, 2007.  Much more liberal than
AAASS!  (2)  I believe that annual membership & registration fees for
AATSEEL may be a bit less costly than for AAASS.  (3)  For some, the
midwestern city of Chicago may be closer, i.e., handier to go to, than
New Orleans.  (4)  For those involved with job interviews in languages,
literatures, cultures, humanities generally, the fact that MLA will meet
in Chicago the same week as AATSEEL would enable some to kill 2 birds
with the same stone (2 sets of interviews on the same trip, i.e., "ubit'
dvukh zaitsev").  (5)  AATSEEL & MLA wiill gather during school vacations,
and thus will not conflict (as AAASS does conflict) with a few days of
regular class sessions.

With New Year's best wishes to all,
Steven P Hill,
University of Illinois.
(Longtime member of both AATSEEL and AAASS).