I.M. Sechenov in Stalinist Culture

Andy Hicks ah69 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Thu Jan 11 19:06:17 UTC 2007

In Semyon Babaevskii's Svet nad zemlei, ownership of a book by I.M. Sechenov
causes a character to rise in the esteem of the regional Party Secretary.
Ivan Sechenov (1829-1905) was apparently a founder of neurophysiology and
seems to be regarded as a precursor to I.P. Pavlov and his work with
conditioned reflexes.  Other than that vague resonance, do the members of
this list know of any cultural significance that Sechenov might have in the
Stalinist era?

Many thanks,

Andy Hicks