Kundera article (cont.)

Peitlova Katarina peitlovakatarina at TISCALI.IT
Fri Jan 12 11:30:37 UTC 2007

  Such people might start with Russian
> (as a language), and proceed to other Slavic languages, including Czech
> -- which would be made much more accessible by prior studies within
> the same language family (Slavic).

It's rather curious : if I want to study Japanese language  I should at
first study Chines? I don't think that everybody should at first learn
Russian language if he wants to know Czech,Slovak,Polish,Serb,Croat - and so
long - other Slavic languages.  There's really abyss between Russian and
Czech. First and not least the alphabet / cyrillic against latin.  We should
finally recognize that nowadays  doesn't exist old  geopolitical "division"
of  part of Europe to so called "EAST " and "WEST"  .I can't hear anymore
how Italian TV news program continues  to call "paesi dell'est"  non
distinguishing the existence of present  political changes  after 1989.
Division "EAST" and "WEST" was purely political  - it came in usage  after
second WW 1945. Nobody called  Czechoslovakia  ,established in 1918,
"EAST". It was and still is geografically the Central part of Europe . So
STOP with this EAST! And I think that  even Kundera  is trying to  call
attention  to this problem : that  Czechs   with their culture,literature
and story don't make part of "oriental" Russia.

PhDr.Katarina Peitlova -Tocci
Italia