Another notable New Yorker item

Kim Braithwaite kbtrans at COX.NET
Fri Jan 12 18:57:26 UTC 2007

First, let me say how personally edifying it has been to see all the intense interest and insightful commentary generated by the Kundera article which I (ahem) alerted the SEELANGS community to last week. Yes, I realize someone else would have picked up on it.

Now I'd like to recommend Joan Acocella's review of Martin Amis's new novel  "House of Meetings," in the January 15th  issue of the New Yorker. Quite apart from the merits of the novel, I have to say I'm a bit put off by the reviewer's smug introductory paragraph chiding Amis for seeming "to think that he was bringing us the news" (of the atrocities of the bolshevik era) in his earlier work, "Koba the Dread." I don't believe the "news" was ever brought home hard enough, even after Solzhenitsyn.

Mr Kim Braithwaite, Translator

                "Good is better than Evil, because it's nicer" - Mammy Yokum (Al Capp)