Russian Cellphone jargon

Tatyana Buzina tbuzina at YANDEX.RU
Tue Jan 16 11:41:23 UTC 2007

"Fotka" is indeed horrible, and the verb "sforkat'" is even worse. Makes me want to scream and pounce on whoever says that :). However, "sms-ka" is widely used by everybody, including university professors, and, most importantly, some rather snobbish people here, and ditto "psikhushka." This is overly optimistic to expect people to pronounce "psikhiatricheskaia bol'nista" each time they want to refer to such an institution. It's colloquial and slightly sloppy, if I may put it like that, but not expressly provincial.
"Skin'te/sbros'te mne vash nomer sms-koi."
While I am at it, there's also "sterka" for eraser. That one was very popular when I was at school, and is still running strong. And I've never heard stiralka in either sense. Interesting. I'll ask my students and colleagues about it.