Rachmaninov: Ave Maria

Rebecca Jane Stanton rjs19 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue Jan 16 21:14:48 UTC 2007

Yes, Church Slavic is sung "as written," i.e. with each Cyrillic letter
consistently representing the same phoneme, but the transliterations can
vary wildly!  I've seen monstrosities such as "byeahssmyeahrtnooee" for
"bessmertnyi," for example.  So it really helps to have the text in
modern Cyrillic, if it isn't already printed on the score (and in older
Western editions, it isn't always).

Genevra Gerhart asked, very practically, if there were recordings
available online with the proper pronunciation.  All I've been able to
find is this, which has excellent MP3 files of several prayers and
troparia, but not the one addressed to the Virgin, unfortunately!:
http://www.orthodoxepubsoc.org/prayers.htm

Best,
RJS