Translation question

Katherine Crosswhite crosswhi at RICE.EDU
Thu Jan 18 20:57:10 UTC 2007

Well, here's my translation into, uh, English:

"There's nothing that invites a person to act incorrectly more than the
claim that virtue has a fancy lineage, that virtue springs from
religion/God."  It was pretty opaque at first, but I looked on Project
Gutenberg and in context it is clear that "flatter virtue as though her
true origin" is meant to be parsed something like "flatter virtue by
telling her that her true origin is...", with a personified virtue.  I
think casting swine's meat before men is supposed to be mean "doing
something to make someone else (unknowingly) sin" but maybe someone with
more knowledge of the Bible could weigh in.

In the preceding paragraphs, the author is arguing that virtue is a very
mundane thing -- that people should figure out what things "lead to long
life and comfort, and act accordingly."  In the following section, he
says that is some "purported virtue" time and again leads to
unhappiness, it should instead be viewed as an "insidious form of vice."

That's my take.

Best,

K.