Translation question ("swine's meat before men")

Timothy D. Sergay tsergay at COLUMBUS.RR.COM
Thu Jan 18 23:18:11 UTC 2007

Dear colleagues,

    I think the key to the figure "swine's meat" is the archaic English
sense of "meat": "food of any kind" (New Oxford American English
Dictionary). The philosophic topic is the derivation of virtue, that is, the
tracing of our knowledge of the good to its proper roots, specifically, the
question of whether those roots lie in some metaphysical realm or in the
realm of natural and common human experience. Butler argues strongly for the
latter. As for Butler's figure in its context, I believe the rhetoric of
"casting swine's meat before men" would parse logically as follows: it is a
satirical reversal of the Gospel figure "to cast pearls before swine" that
operates by redistributing the attributes "worthy" and "unworthy" between
two elements: (1) the thing cast (i.e., offered) and (2) the party BEFORE
whom (1) is cast (i.e., the party TO whom [1] is offered). Pigs, or more
precisely, the category "swinish," functions as a metaphor for
"unworthiness" in both cases. In the Gospel, element 1, pearls, something of
great worth, is cast before swine (unworthy recipients); in Butler's figure,
element 1, "swine's meat," is something unworthy of men (worthy recipients):
it is "meat fit for swine". If you cast "swine's meat before men," you offer
men something unworthy of them, unfit for human consumption. In Butler,
then, element 1, the thing offered, is ethical theories that seek to derive
virtue from something other than "man's experience concerning his own
well-being," namely, "a lineage, deduced as it were by spiritual heralds,
from some stock with which she [virtue] has nothing to do." In other words,
there is no doctrine of ethics more wretchedly unfit to offer to human
beings than that which seeks to derive virtue from metaphysical sources,
i.e., sources other than human experience of natural comfort and advantage.
(In ethics, I believe Butler's preferred line of thinking derives from
Plato, if not further back: what is good ultimately contributes to human
wellbeing, vice is in essence its own punishment, as in the hangover.) The
true, sufficient and only source of virtue is, again, "man's experience
concerning his own well-being." Prosecuting any other view of ethics, i.e.,
any metaphysical accounting for its origins, is akin to offering decent
human beings meat fit only for swine.

    The whole passage of "Way of All Flesh" is available here:
http://www.worldwideschool.org/library/books/lit/drama/TheWayofAllFlesh/chap19.html.

    I would expect the Russian treatment of the sequence before the comma to
go something like "нет худшего метания свинского корма перед человеками, чем
то, что тщится льстить добродетели, будто ее недостойны ее жe собстсвенные
истоки, но ей необходима родословная..." ("net khudshego metaniia svinskogo
korma pered chelovekami, chem to, chto tshchitsia l'stit' dobrodeteli, budto
ee nedostoiny ee zhe sobstvennye istoki, no ei neobkhodima
rodoslovnaia...").

Best wishes to all,

Tim Sergay