SEELANGS Digest - 18 Jan 2007 (#2007-28)

STEPHEN PEARL sbpearl1 at VERIZON.NET
Fri Jan 19 15:05:27 UTC 2007

The problem of ty vs.vy, the subject of the first of Kim Braithwaite's two queries, is one I address in the Translator's Note to my recently published translation of "Oblomov". What follows is an expanded version of the relevant excerpt.

  "The Problem of “You”.

        One of the most fascinating aspects of comparative language study is the way in which, with respect to one and the same universal reality, one language feels it necessary to make distinctions which another language is content to do without.

        Spanish need two versions of “corner” [“rincon”, “esquina”] – not to mention the verb “to be” [“ser”, “estar”], where English has one.
  French has two words for “year” [“an”, “annee”] and “day” [“jour”, “journee”]; English has one. Chinese has six or more words for different kinds of “uncle” and at least the same number for the different kinds of “carrying”. Russian has two words for “blue”,and at least three for brother-in-law. English, on the other hand, compared with other languages, is peculiarly rich in words for ambulation or getting from A to B on two feet [“amble”,“stroll”,“saunter”,“sidle” “lurch”, just to name a few]. Other languages have to struggle to catch up by using adverbs or paraphrase.

        However, when it comes to the matter of “you”, English, in comparison with almost all other European languages is truly the maverick, the odd man out. English alone stuggles along manfully with but a single version of “you”. Clearly where there is such a strong consensus in favor of two versions of “you” on the other side, the distinction must be a useful, if not a necessary one.

        In Russian, like most of the other languages in question, use is made of what is grammatically a singular and a plural version, although the uses to which these pronouns are put are by no means necessarily just grammatical. Russian, like many of the other languages, also uses these two versions “ty” [singular] and “vy”[plural] to convey distinctions of respect or deference due to superior status of age or rank. Broadly speaking “vy” is used when speaking to one’s elders and betters and “ty” to one’s juniors and inferiors. When two people of comparable station interact, the choice of “ty” or “vy” will often depend on the degree of familiarity.

        One of the most appealing features of “Oblomov” is its humor and irony, humor ranging from glinting and subtle to something close to farce or knockabout, when Oblomov and his manservant, Zakhar, are on stage. Here the stumbling block of the British-American divide arises in a special way. There are two competing models for the dialogue between master and servant.  On the one hand, there is the Britain of Dickens with its landed gentry and its servants – the “upstairs-downstairs” model – where the relations between the two classes, and hence the language of the exchanges between them, was clearly delineated, formal and cold to the point of frigidity. On the other hand there is the land-owning and plantation-owning gentry of the America of Mark Twain and their slaves.

        The relations between slave and master in the U.S and between serf and master in Russian in roughly the same part of the nineteenth century had much more in common with each other than either had with the British master-servant model of the same period. The former were marked by the same paradoxical blend of familiarity, even intimacy, often born in both cases of a shared childhood, and brutality and even outright cruelty.

        Oblomov and Zakhar were in very real sense family members. These bonds were strengthened further both by their shared roots in the ancestral Oblomov household and by the fact that by the time their story begins, they were the only surviving members of it, with memories they could share only with each other. Their master-servant relationship was complicated by their older brother-younger brother relationship where the servant was the older and the master the younger brother. Their mutual dependence was well-nigh total, although not necessarily symmetrical. If one was parasitic on the other, it would have been hard to say which was the ivy and which the oak. Like all cohabiting family members, they could each see right through the other’s poses and artifices to their hidden vulnerabilities and knew instinctively which buttons to push in both attack and defence.

        The language of Zakhar’s exchanges with his master could be impudent, even insolent to the very limits of insubordination, but it would have been unthinkable for him to have transgressed to the point of addressing him as “ty”, or ever making him the subject of anything but a plural verb – another token of the proper deference. Equally unthinkable was the possibility of Oblomov ever addressing Zakhar as “Vy” or making him the subject of a verb in the plural. Thus, no matter how insubordinate the content, these lines were clearly drawn and never crossed.

         English lacks the means of conveying this crucial notion, at least directly, but part of the art and craft of translation is to find ways of transferring the semantic and other charges carried by the vocabulary, grammar and syntax of the sentence in the original language to other forms and parts of the sentence in the target language. Thus,in British restaurants at least, waiters and waitresses, without realizing that they are instinctively and ingeniously solving what is in essence a knotty translation problem, will compensate for having to use the equalizing “you” to their customers, by resorting to such locutions as : ”Were you wanting/ would you be wanting another beer?” or “ Would madam prefer the lamb?”, and making the deferential verb tense or the switch to the third person do the work that the “vous”,and the “vy” would be doing in their respective languages.

        It was with some regret that this translator dismissed the possibility of using the closest available equivalent to the missing “vy”, namely “yourself” or “your honour” [analogous to the Spanish “vuestra merced” which in the form of “Usted” has now become the standard form of the formal second person] These were the forms traditionally favored by Irish retainers of bygone times for addressing, and referring to, their Anglo masters and mistresses. Doing so would have meant unaccountably and bizarrely placing the whole novel, lock, stock and barrel, in a nineteenth century Irish setting. The price was too high.

        At one point in my career, this was a problem I was simply incapable of solving in a high pressure simultaneous interpretation setting. I was interpreting an extensive interview with Manuel Noriega from his Florida jail for ABC TV’s “20/20”. His interviewer was the young and attractive Diane Sawyer. Noriega started out circumspectly while he was feeling out his opponent and used “Usted” in addressing her. Later, clearly feeling he had taken the measure of the opposition, he switched to “tu”. There was no way in the circumstances that I could convey to the English listening audience the subtle manner in which Noriega had now declared himself master of the situation. With hindsight I might have signaled the shift by initially translating “Usted” as “Ms. Sawyer” and then switching to “you”, when Noriega switched to “tu”.

      I hope this sheds some light for Kim Braithwaite. Stephen Pearl