copyright of magazine articles, specifically Ogonek

John Merchant jamercha at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 29 19:00:32 UTC 2007

Dear Ms. Hoffman,

I have done quite a bit of copyright work, and I would say that it
varies widely by publication. One simple thing you can do is to look
on the credit pages of the textbook to see if they cite ownership of
the text rights. Quite often a magazine publisher will have first
publication rights, with all subsequent rights reverting to the
author. If the article was commissioned by the magazine or if the
publishers think it will be a recurring piece, the magazine publishers
might want to maintain ownership of the rights. I would suggest trying
two tacks: asking the magazine editors for help in contacting the
author and searching for the author on-line yourself.

Good luck.

John Merchant