Poems on photographs or photography

Molly Thomasy thomasy at WISC.EDU
Tue Jul 3 17:05:40 UTC 2007

Dear SEELANGers,

I am beginning work on a study that examines the place of photography
and photographs in Russian and Polish poetry.  In particular, I'm
interested in how photographs inspire writers to engage with problems
of history, mimesis, memory, visual vs. verbal arts, and modernity.  I
am searching for poems written in Russian or Polish (but examples from
other languages are also welcome) that were inspired by photographs
(real or imaginary), or poetry on the theme of photography.  Examples I
have found thus far include Fet's "K portretu grafini S. A. Tolstoi,"
Khodasevich's "Sorrentinskie fotografii," Brodsky's "My zhili v gorode
tsveta okamenevshei vodki" (with its reference to Kodak), Akhmadulina's
"Snimok," and several poems by Wislawa Szymborska ("Pierwsza fotografia
Hitlera," "Elega podrozna," "Znieruchomienie," Fotografia z 11
wrzesnia").

I would be grateful for any additional suggestions of poems/poets to
consider for this project.  I would also welcome suggestions about
prose passages, essays or stories by Russian or Polish writers on the
theme of photography.

Many thanks in advance,

Molly Thomasy
Slavic Languages and Literatures