query about a phrase

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Fri Jul 6 11:25:40 UTC 2007

In view of the silence from Russian colleagues, I offer this. Not so
much a phrase as a reduplication, roughly the first word means an
impossible situation, the second means kaput. Listed in slang
dictionaries, e.g. Slovar' tiuremnogo-lagerno-blatnogo zhargona, M.
1992. Steve Marder's Supplementary Dictionary (Slavica) lists kranty.
Will Ryan

Sarah Hurst wrote:
> Can anyone explain to me the phrase: "труба, кранты!"? I think it means a
> situation of hopeless, but I'd be grateful for any help.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Sarah Hurst

Emeritus Professor W. F. Ryan FBA, FSA
Warburg Institute
(School of Advanced Study, University of London)
Woburn Square
LONDON WC1H 0AB

All postal, fax and telephone messages to:
120 Ridge Langley, South Croydon, Surrey, CR2 0AS
telephone and fax: 020 8405 6610
from outside UK +44 20 8405 6610