query about a phrase

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Wed Jul 11 21:40:30 UTC 2007

A list of words for getting drunk, that would indeed be a fine
Rabelaisian project. A hundred, however, is small beer compared with the
riches of English. One website has 305 as of 4 July - see
http://matt.moviequote.net/drunk.htm. The nearest to a Russian published
list of terms for a sticky end is perhaps 'master grobovykh del'
Bezenchuk's list of expressions for dying in ch. 2 of  /Dvenadtsat'
stul'ev/. Shorter but with exquisite socio-semantic annotation.
Will Ryan

Alina Israeli wrote:
> I would not want it to be called "reduplication", although in rhetoric
> we do find similar examples of semantic repetition. The Google search
> of "труба кранты" yielded 4 hits. On the other hand "дело труба"
> produced 46,700, "ему кранты" over 1,200, the same for "нам кранты".
> In other words the two words are not that often connected compared to
> their individual usages.
>
> What is interesting here is that both of these nouns are used only as
> predicates as in the above examples to produce the meaning of the
> doom. There are other such fun phrases: "дело табак" 43,200, and
> simply "дело швах" 14,400. While schwach is rather straightforward,
> "tabac" is puzzling, because to my knowledge it is associated with a
> lot of positive expressions in French.
>
> The list of words meaning 'end' or 'doom' could be vastly expanded
> (каюк, капут, крышка...)
>
> This reminds me of the story told by Tomas Venclova that once after
> some drinking he and Dovlatov started a list of synonyms of the words
> meaning 'to get drunk'. When they got to #100 they simply stopped. I
> wonder if anyone has such a list.  The situation with doomsday seems
> to be just as fruitful.
>

> On Jul 6, 2007, at 7:25 AM, William Ryan wrote:
>
>> In view of the silence from Russian colleagues, I offer this. Not so
>> much a phrase as a reduplication, roughly the first word means an
>> impossible situation, the second means kaput. Listed in slang
>> dictionaries, e.g. Slovar' tiuremnogo-lagerno-blatnogo zhargona, M.
>> 1992. Steve Marder's Supplementary Dictionary (Slavica) lists kranty.
>> Will Ryan
>>
>> Sarah Hurst wrote:
>>> Can anyone explain to me the phrase: "труба, кранты!"? I think it
>>> means a
>>> situation is hopeless, but I'd be grateful for any help.
>>>

> Alina Israeli
> LFS, American University
> 4400 Massachusetts Ave., NW
> Washington DC. 20016
> (202) 885-2387
> fax (202) 885-1076
> aisrael at american.edu

Emeritus Professor W. F. Ryan FBA, FSA
Warburg Institute
(School of Advanced Study, University of London)
Woburn Square
LONDON WC1H 0AB

All postal, fax and telephone messages to:
120 Ridge Langley, South Croydon, Surrey, CR2 0AS
telephone and fax: 020 8405 6610
from outside UK +44 20 8405 6610