raspal'tsovka

Fri Jul 20 15:49:49 UTC 2007

Olga Meerson wrote:

> It is when one thief (new Russian) points the palm of his hand at
> another, holding it horizontally, with fingers spread, approximately
> at the level of the other's eyes, so that it looks as aggressive, as,
> say, a Japanese steel star used to kill people.

Would you clarify, please?

If you say "holding it horizontally," that says to me that the palm is
either facing upward toward the sky or downward toward the ground; in
neither case is it facing the other person. For the palm to be facing
the other person, the hand must be vertical (like the "stop" gesture).

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com