bulling and teasing in Russian

Emily Saunders emilka at MAC.COM
Fri Jul 27 02:52:32 UTC 2007

Hello Professor Belyanin,

While sharing bits of your interesting article with my husband this
evening he came up with several versions of the "back at you" defenses
in English that he remembers from childhood - so I thought I'd share:

I'm rubber, you're glue, whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to
you.
I know you are, but what am I.
Takes one to know one.
He who smelt it probably dealt it (reference to a fart).

And discussing this with him reminded me of a few "draznilki" from
deepest childhood -- I was little in the '70's and so I'd be curious if
elementary school kids are still using these:

*Anna and Robert* sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G.
First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes a baby in a baby
carriage.
(This is generally not used as a compliment but rather to pair someone
with another who is unpopular.)

Brown, brown went to town, wearing his britches upside down. (Refers to
the color clothing worn or color of eyes.)

I see London, I see France, I see *insert name here*'s underpants.

Liar, liar, pants on fire, nose as long as a telephone wire.

I'm sure there are some that involve specific names, but I can't recall
them at the moment.  I do remember though that some Russian friends of
mine who were swayed by draznilki when deciding on a name for their
baby girl.  They considered briefly Elizaveta (which would have worked,
in my opinion, quite nicely with her patronymic - Kirillovna), but
decided against it in the end fearing the playground epithet of
Liza-podliza.

Regards,

Emily Saunders