����������� �������

David E. Crawford dclistsubs at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jul 29 03:15:26 UTC 2007

I'd recommend reserving the Malta for light-duty rust removal rather than
actual consumption.

Our one semi-local Russian grocery (in Orlando) usually carries various
brands of forgettable stuff in plastic bottles that I call "kvas soda", i.e.
brown and fizzy but not a lot of flavor and no ethanol.  However, they also
carry small jars of brown goo, "Концентрат Квасного Сусла", which you can
combine with prescribed quantities of sugar, warm water, yeast, and about 24
hours of fermentation time to produce a quite acceptable tabletop brew that
you'd think came right out of the yellow tanker-trailer...  It takes the
edge off of yardwork in the Florida hot summer sun quite nicely...

And whatever happened to the real Baltika No. 9?  The BBC reported last week
that Baltika is now producing a Number Zero, appropriately designated and
constituted for export to Iran...

David E. Crawford
Titusville, Florida
United States of America