Best Translations of Master & Marg and One Day?

Gerald J. Sabo gsabo at JCU.EDU
Sat Jun 2 19:04:10 UTC 2007

If I recall correctly, the Russian version with italics for deleted text was first published in 1969 by Posev publishers in Frankfurt am Main, then reprinted in 1971 and 1974.  I believe the Burgin-O'Connor was a "complete" translation that may have also drawn on post-1991 Russian published versions of M-M.  There may be commentary about this in that edition.  I have not yet seen the Karpelson version.  What is valuable in the Pevear-Volkonsky, Burgin-Connor, and probably Karpelson versions are especially the foot/endnotes for needed explanations as well as the quality of those translations of Bulgakov.  I am not aware that any of the three translations indicate in some way in the actual English text what had been originally deleted from the late sixties Russian publication on which the Ginsburg and Glenny translations were based.
   I would be grateful for evaluation of the three most recent translations for future use.  Thanks--Jerry Sabo.