Hayward translation of "Zhivago"

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Mon Jun 4 13:17:24 UTC 2007

I am not an expert of the complicated issue of copyright, but I believe
the 'free-for-all' in translations of modern Russian literature was
perhaps not a result of the 'USSR not signing copyright agreements'. As
I understand it, the USSR was signed up to the 1951 International
Copyright Convention, and, from 1973, to the 1971 convention. The
observance of this may have been erratic, and the motives may have
included control of dissident literature, but, by contrast, the USA did
not become a Berne Convention signatory until 1988, with later
legislation to protect Mickey Mouse.
Will Ryan

Robert Chandler wrote:
> Dear Stephanie,
>
> It is in fact standard practice for publishers and literary agents to sell
> EXCLUSIVE translation rights to another publisher.  These rights can last as
> long as copyright in the original author.  It is only because of the USSR
> not signing up to copyright agreements, etc, that we have got used to this
> kind of free-for-all with respect to translations of modern Russian writers.
>
> Personally I think that EXCLUSIVE rights lasting for decades are wrong.  I
> would prefer to see a limit of, say 15 or 20 years, on the exclusivity of
> such rights.
>
> There is, however, a new English ZHIVAGO in the pipeline, though I do not
> know details.  Maybe from Pantheon.
>
> Best Wishes,
>
> R.

Emeritus Professor W. F. Ryan FBA, FSA
Warburg Institute
(School of Advanced Study, University of London)
Woburn Square
LONDON WC1H 0AB

All postal, fax and telephone messages to:
120 Ridge Langley, South Croydon, Surrey, CR2 0AS
telephone and fax: 020 8405 6610
from outside UK +44 20 8405 6610