Internet visas

Tatyana Buzina tbuzina at YANDEX.RU
Thu Jun 14 20:39:23 UTC 2007

Russia isn't entirely alone in difficult visa requirements even for tourists. I routinely collect an insane number of "spravki" certifying my property holdings, my financial situation (if I submit an account statement the account has to be more than three months old), I have to confirm that I have a job, and if I am a tourist I have to bring a piece of paper certifying that I am on official vacation for the time of my trip, and if I want to go to Germany and I am not married, I have to write an essay in German on the subject of why I am not married (I hope they have cancelled that requirement). I have to buy my ticket and book (ideally, prepay) hotel accommodation before I get my visa, and, naturally, having a ticket and a prepaid accommodation is no guarantee of being given a visa. Some embassies just don't answer the phone or email claiming that that's their specifics. And if I go to the US I will have to be fingerprinted. Getting into some embassies involves standing in huge and sometimes violent lines as people almost literally try to take the embassy by storm. Most Russians routinely use similar semi-legal agencies just because getting a visa on your own is an ordeal not many people would like to go through. That's also a cry of the soul :).
Tatyana