QUERY: uzhe + poka = ???

Kim Braithwaite kbtrans at COX.NET
Thu Jun 14 23:47:12 UTC 2007

Heck of a stumper. Without more context, is there the faintest chance of a
misprint,  or something inadvertently omitted? Don't know if a reading of
"uzhe VOZMOZHNO ... " would mean anything either.

Mr Kim Braithwaite, Translator
              "Good is better than Evil, because it's nicer" - Mammy Yokum
(Al Capp)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alina Israeli" <aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU>
To: <SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2007 4:36 PM
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] QUERY: uzhe + poka = ???

On Jun 14, 2007, at 5:54 PM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

> I've been having a debate with a couple of people over this phrase,  and
> so far everyone I've asked has come up with a different answer:
>
> "Сократить население планеты до миллиарда ненасильственным путем
> ***уже невозможно

is already impossible

> и пока невозможно.***"

for now/for the time being impossible.

If you mean that someone has used the two in the same sentence it
means that it was possible at one point and may be possible as some
point later. On the time axis it should look something like this:

................................._____(now)
___________.............................................................

The dots is where the opportunity was and will be again.

It's not your typical combination by no means.

> Can someone explain clearly what it means? I'm having a real hard  time
> figuring out how to combine "уже" and "пока" and get something
> meaningful. I'm reading "уже" as "already; sooner than  expected"
> (temporal, not contrastive sense) and "пока" as "for now,  so far, but
> that could change."

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University
4400 Massachusetts Ave., NW