Dual citizenship and army service

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Wed Jun 20 07:47:47 UTC 2007

> He was born in Armenia, moved to the US at age 13, received US
>citizenship
> last year, but never renounced his Armenian citizenship (he had no
>idea that this is required).

Let me first address this, a pet peeve of mine.
It is NOT always required, not even by American law.
But the American immigration system does everything to
foster this "misconception," and the oath of citizenship
includes/used to include "abjuring" all other ties.
However, many other countries do not recognize an oath
renouncing one's citizenship unless that oath is sworn
before officials of that original country.
Furthermore, American law makes a distinction between
citizens of country X who were born in country X, who
are legally entitled to dual citizenship -- and citizens
of country X who were born elsewhere and are not
entitled to keep that citizenship when they become
American.

That said, the case you describe is more complicated.

One problem is whether Armenia was Armenia or
the Soviet Union when your friend was born (it was still
part of the Soviet Union 21 years ago) ... Is his original
citizenship definitely Armenian and not Russian/Soviet?
Another problem is that you are at the mercy of local
officials everywhere you go.

Once in Moscow, if he looks "Southern," he'll be stopped
routinely for document checks, but they won't be looking
for young men who should be in some other army.

Yes, young men are told they're safer if they sever
ties to the old homeland if that country has military
service, since technically you're still liable for it.
(European military service has plenty of alternate
options so Europeans/Americans don't worry -- my
brother spent his French service in Cameroun, directing
air traffic for Douala airport ... practically on the beach,
and not a uniform in sight).
The fact that your friend is technically still liable for
military service in Armenia does not mean that the
Russians collect young men in his situation in order
to help out the Armenian army.

Your friend should research this carefully, and I'd check in
particular with local Armenian organizations to see whether
this type of thing does indeed happen (plus American-
Russian relations are nasty right now).

> The US State Department has warned him against
>traveling

Do not take their word either way.  In my many years
of dealing with them and the INS, I have found them
prone to random, careless or spiteful misstatements,
and I'm being polite.
-FR

Francoise Rosset
Russian and Russian Studies