on-line resources for Russian books/manuscripts

Anne Fisher afisher at WOOSTER.EDU
Fri Jun 22 15:16:37 UTC 2007

hello all,

The State Library of Victoria has a nice interactive site for viewing
gems from its book collection:

http://www.mirroroftheworld.com.au

You can zoom in on a page to really get the detail. Sort of like how
you can page through, zoom in on, reverse images of, hear texts of/
commentaries on book treasures at the British Museum exhibit with
their stunning Turning the Pages presentation (warning, this gets
addictive):

http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/ttp/ttpbooks.html

My question: is there anything like this available, or being
developed, for Russian books/manuscripts? Something more than just
static digital images? Given the state of archival/bibliographic/
library financing in post-Soviet Russia I know it's sort of a stupid
question, but...

Thanks,

Annie

________________________

Annie Fisher
Visiting Assistant Professor and Chair
Russian Studies
The College of Wooster
afisher at wooster.edu
330-263-2166

"Those boys who were to grow up into detestable men gave a single
toot on their whistles, nibbled at their apples, and blew up their
balloons hardly at all, in this resembling the girls who already
showed their pleasure in possession and anticipation rather than
fulfillment." - V. S. Naipaul, A House for Mr. Biswas