pol'ka-babochka

Edward M Dumanis dumanis at BUFFALO.EDU
Tue Jun 26 14:04:27 UTC 2007

I think you are correct.
Cf., Alexey Tolstoy "Zolotoy klyuchik ili priklyucheniya Buratino," where
the puppets dance and sing "pol'ka Karabas" a.k.a. pol'ka-ptichka. It was
called so because of the first line "Ptichka pol'ku tantsevala."
Modifying a famous Russian saying "ot ptichki do babochki - odin shag" :)

Sincerely,

Edward Dumanis <dumanis at buffalo.edu>