honest message or "phishing" from Russia?

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Thu Jun 28 08:22:07 UTC 2007

I was in fact expecting a greetings message from Russia, so summoned up
my courage and tried it - and caught a nasty new Trojan which got past
several layers of defence. The usual security advice applies - if it the
sender is not known to you, is unexpected or anonymous, best delete it.
At worst you lose a 'Hi there' message.
Will

Rebecca Jane Stanton wrote:
> Postcard.ru is a perfectly legitimate free electronic-greetings-card
> service not unlike the one at Amazon.  I use it all the time.  That
> said, as Prof. Hauge suggests, it's always a good idea to check,
> before clicking, that the URL really points whither it appears to be
> pointing.
>
> Regards,
> RJS
>
> Kjetil Rå Hauge wrote:
>
>>> My "spam filter' flagged the "postcard" (?) attached below.  I have
>>> NOT clicked the blue attachment or the address b/c I fear it may
>>> come from some "zhulik."
>>

>> Being a Macintosh user, I fearlessly clicked the URL, after first
>> checking the source code of the message to make sure tnat another URL
>> was not hiding behind it. It lead me to a "page not found"-page, and
>> from there automatically to the home page of postcard.ru, which seems
>> to be in the business that its name indicates.

Emeritus Professor W. F. Ryan FBA, FSA
Warburg Institute
(School of Advanced Study, University of London)
Woburn Square
LONDON WC1H 0AB

All postal, fax and telephone messages to:
120 Ridge Langley, South Croydon, Surrey, CR2 0AS
telephone and fax: 020 8405 6610
from outside UK +44 20 8405 6610