thanks; new query

Sat Jun 30 08:11:47 UTC 2007

Prof Steven P Hill wrote:

> Dear most helpful colleagues:
>
> 1.  Please accept my thanks, all of you who advised me about
> unsolicited E-Mail messages called "postcard from Russia."  After
> reading your feedback, I deleted, unopened, the notice which I had
> received (offering me a "postcard"), and in future I will immediately
> delete such notices, always without clicking to "open."

A couple of things worth noting in this context:

1) I have received various greeting cards and the like from friends and
colleagues through such services over the years, and those have been
harmless. However, the notice always mentions the sender by name.

2) I have recently received several "notices" of greeting cards that do
not mention anyone's name, and in one case I received several "notices"
in rapid succession from the same source. I assumed these were attempts
to lure me to an infected site and deleted them.

3) If you've been reading the explanations on Windows Update when it
suggests that you should download and install this or that patch, you
will have seen that oftentimes a security hole requires the miscreant to
lure you to a "specially crafted web page." But even if they do manage
to lure you to their page, that won't help them if you have patched the
hole they are trying to exploit. So it's important to check WU for
updates on a regular basis -- weekly is a good routine. The same goes
for Office Update if applicable, and MS has something called "Microsoft
Update" that will check for both Windows updates and Office updates in
one go. Finally, MS has something called "Automatic Update" that will
(depending how you set the options) pop up a little notification icon in
the tray (next to the clock) whenever updates become available.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com