Comprehensive exam query

Christina Kramer ce.kramer at UTORONTO.CA
Tue May 1 19:09:01 UTC 2007

Dear Colleagues:

I am writing to ask if you would be willing to share with us your
policy on Comprehensive Exams. As the amount of
funding for students becomes more and more restricted to four or five
years, we are wondering how programs are scheduling
Comprehensives. We currently have students write exams in the fall of
the third year. In most areas, students typically take two
three-hour exams followed by a Special field exam in the student's
planned area of research. The special field exam has both
a written and oral component.  Students typically spend most of the
summer of the second year and fall of the third year preparing
and writing these exams. We are interested in learning other models
used.

Please respond to me off list (ce.kramer at utoronto.ca). At the end of
May I will be happy to post a compilation (without
university affiliation) on the list.

Sincerely,

Christina E. Kramer

Christina E. Kramer, Chair
and Professor of Slavic and Balkan Linguistics
University of Toronto
121 Saint Joseph Street
Toronto, Ontario
Canada M5S 1J4