post or contra Tolstoy?

Jane Costlow jcostlow at BATES.EDU
Fri May 4 16:10:32 UTC 2007

Colleagues,

   I'm currently teaching a course on late Tolstoy (both fiction and
essays), and would like to pair some other writers with L.N.'s more
wonderfully outrageous pieces.  I'd welcome suggestions of short fiction
that is either directly influenced by Tolstoy (say, Kreutzer Sonata or
Ivan Ilych), or is written in reaction/opposition to it.  (Suggestions
that relate more to his non-fiction - we're scheduled to read sections
of What Then Must We Do? and essays on non-violence - are also
welcome.)  The writers don't have to be Russian.  (I've received some
suggestions from the students themselves - so far suggesting Hunter
Thompson and Edward Abbey after reading "I Cannot be Silent").

Thanks,

Jane Costlow (feel free to respond on- or off-list)