post or contra Tolstoy?

Valentino, Russell russell-valentino at UIOWA.EDU
Sat May 5 02:13:32 UTC 2007

Speaking of parodies, Dubravka Ugresic, "The Kreutzer Sonata," in her Steffi Speck in the Jaws of Life (along with "A Hot Dog in a Warm Bun," which sends up another famous 19th-c. Russian short story -- you guess).

For a shift of medium, you might also try Janacek's String Quartet No. 1 -- The Kreutzer.

For more serious fare, try the Tolstoy chapter (Tolstoy and the Nonviolent Imperative) in Steven Marks, How Russia Shaped the Modern World (Princeton, 2003). It's suggestive rather than analytic and casts a wide net.

I've used all these in class in the last 2-3 years. They went over well with my students.

Russell Valentino