To yo or not to yo?

Mon May 7 02:32:06 UTC 2007

Thanks to Alina Israeli (who wrote privately), Jack Franke, and Victoria
Thorstens (who changed the subject but nevertheless concurred). It is
not "yo."

Next question:

I'm translating this conference document:
<http://www.sus-me.ru/ru/379/381/>

... which includes the following paper (last one at the bottom):

Сварка композиционных материалов (Г.Г. Чернышов, Коперник Н.В., МГТУ им.
Н.Э. Баумана, г. Москва, Россия).

Now, it seems implausible to me (and web searches confirm it) that
Nicolaus Copernicus could have risen from the dead to speak at this
conference... ;-) However, Bauman Moscow State Technical University does
advertise a Copernicus Grant
<http://www.mstu.edu.ru/education/inter/grants/kopernik_grant.shtml>,
which makes me wonder whether Chernyshov is a Copernicus fellow. On the
other hand, I don't see how the syntax supports that hypothesis. Neither
does <http://www.copernicus-stipendium.de>, though my German is very
limited.

Any thoughts?

Paul B. Gallagher