Anglo mis-stressing

Gerald Janecek gjanecek at UKY.EDU
Fri May 11 18:29:00 UTC 2007

For what it's worth, I did a study of stress patterns in connection
with zaum' and discovered that there is a statistical tendency
(stress entropy, if you will) toward the first syllable in English
and toward the middle syllable in Russian.  This doesn't explain all
the peculiarities, where analogy may play a part, but it seems to be
connected with English's monosyllabic, Anglo-Saxon roots versus the
agglutinative structure of Russian words, where the root tends to be
in the middle, surrounded by prefixes and suffixes.  Just a
hypothesis, but it explains VLAdimir in English and marKEting in
Russian.

Jerry Janecek

Gerald Janecek, Professor of Russian
gjanecek at uky.edu