Educational terminology

Shrager, Miriam mshrage at INDIANA.EDU
Sun May 13 18:35:10 UTC 2007

"Profil'nyj klass" is a specialized class. There used to be (and there
are still) many specialized high schools in Russia, e.g. math schools,
languages schools, etc. "Licej" is a new type of specialized school
where there are several specializations. For example, in Licej where my
children studied there were 4 specialized classes: mathematics,
biology, physics-chemistry, and humanities. In order to be accepted to
one of these classes, one must pass specialized tests in the relevant
subjects. During the high school years students study all the subjects,
but the specialized subject they study in depth.

I don't know what is the English equivqlent to these. I heard that
there are "magnet schools" in the USA (for example, there is one in
Chicago), which are similar. So maybe that would be a good candidate
for translation.

Regarding "colledge", it is a college, but one that has a "lower"
status than the university or an "Institute". This is so because
student's don't need to pass the hard entrance exams, just pay in order
to study there. Usually, those who want to be in academia don't study
in a college. I think that this one is hard to translate because I
don't know of an equivalent, say, in the USA for that. Hope it helps.

Best regards
-Miriam

Quoting SEELANGS automatic digest system <LISTSERV at BAMA.UA.EDU>:

> There is 1 message totalling 67 lines in this issue.
>
> Topics of the day:
>
>  1. Educational terminology -- equivalents?

> Date:    Sun, 13 May 2007 00:12:50 -0400
> From:    "Paul B. Gallagher" <paulbg at PBG-TRANSLATIONS.COM>
> Subject: Educational terminology -- equivalents?
>
> I'm translating a fairly general piece on the Moscow education system
> (present day), and hopingf someone can suggest the nearest equivalents
> for these terms:
>
> профильный класс
> лицей
> колледж
> кадетский корпус
>
> Is a "лицей" like a prep school?
>
> I hesitate to translate "колледж" as "college" because my American
> reader will take it to mean "вуз."
>
> The other two have me pretty baffled.
>
> For a text that covers territory similar enough to mine to help with
> context, see <http://www.mpress.ru/actual.aspx?thema=32>.
>
> And here's the controlling law (MS Word file in zip archive, 21 KB):
> <http://www.educom.ru/ru/documents/common.zip>
>
> Art. 7, Para. 7 defines:
> Лицей - вид государственного
> общеобразовательного учреждения,