New textbook for Advanced Russian

Benjamin Rifkin benjamin.rifkin at TEMPLE.EDU
Mon May 14 19:12:54 UTC 2007

Dear SEELANGers:

Olga Kagan, Anna Yatsenko and I are pleased to announce the publication of
our new textbook by Yale University Press:

Advanced Russian through History:
Dela davno minuvshikh dnei

Each of the 36 chapters in the textbook consists of an essay in Russian
(marked for stress, with lexical glosses) written by a Russian scholar of
history, anthropology, or other social science or humanities disciplines,
and a related mini-lecture (mp3 file) of 4-8 minutes in length, recorded by
the same scholar (on a CD-ROM packaged with the textbook).

Each of the 36 chapters is also accompanied by over 20 learning tasks
(including pre-reading, lexical and grammatical analysis, and post-reading
research and presentation tasks) and glossaries.  The learning tasks and
glossaries are on the web (no password required) and may be found at

 <http://www.yalebooks.com/advrus>

My coauthors and I hope you will find the book an interesting and useful
contribution to the curriculum for advanced and/or heritage Russian language
classes.

Sincerely,

Ben Rifkin

--
Benjamin Rifkin
Vice Dean for Undergraduate Affairs and Professor of Russian