Firebird; culture

Katia Dianina kdianina at YAHOO.COM
Thu May 17 18:32:19 UTC 2007

Dear colleagues,

  1)  Can anybody help me identify the source (if there is one) for Rozanov's comparison of Russian culture with a cooked egg of a Firebird.  This is what I have from one Russian text:

  Василий Розанов сравнивал русскую культуру с яйцом Жар-птицы, из которой сделали яичницу, не дав вылупиться редкой и прекрасной птице.

  2)  How to best translate "khudozhestvennaia kul'tura" and "khudozhestvennaia zhizn'" into English (aside from artistic culture)?

  Please reply to dianina at virginia.edu.  Many thanks for your help in advance.

  Katia

Kjetil Rå Hauge <k.r.hauge at ILOS.UIO.NO> wrote:
  Prof Steven P Hill wrote:
> Dear colleagues:
>
> A few days ago, I sent a short query about Polish vocabulary to 3
> Polish experts on my own campus, about the un-Polish suffix "-TEL"
> in the Polish word for "citizen" ("obywatel," rather than *"obywaciel").
> Two colleagues eventually replied, & I have my answer. No problem.
>
> But now I have a bizarre sort of follow-up question.
>
> At the time of my original query, I sent a blind copy ("BCC") to myself.
> Incredibly, the U of IL "Spam Filter" blocked my own message ("BCC")
> from being delivered directly TO MYSELF. Believe it or not, I needed
> to go through a little "Release from Block" procedure, in order to
> liberate my own copy to myself. (As I "liberated" my message, I added
> my own name to a list of "OK addressees," so that in future, let us
> hope, I would not be at risk of being viewed as my own persona non
> grata...)
>
> This "self-block" had never happened to me before, and in fact I still
> find it hard to believe. My original message had been assigned a very
> bad "spam score" of only 70 out of 100, classifying it as "possible" or
> even "probable" spam! (100 = definitely not spam, under 90 = possible
> spam, etc.) Perhaps the several foreign (Polish) citations in the body
> of my orig. query to the 3 colleagues caused the low score of 70;
> and/or the fact I sent my query to 3 addressees at once?
>
> Has this bizarre sort of "spam block of one's own self" ever happened
> to any of you Slavists out there? Or only to me...?

I am no expert on this, but I'll try to explain it anyway :-). Spam
filters work by weighing the features of the message that are indicators
of spamminess against those that are indicators of it being a bona fide
message ("ham"). These features include text in the "headers" - the
"technical" part of the message, most of which is not displayed in the
default mode of mail programs. There are several spam filters out there,
they may be configured in many different ways according to the needs of
the institution and/or the end user, they may or may not be configured
to "learn" new rules (for instance from what you salvage from the junk
mail folder), and your institution and/or you might use more than one of
them. If you set your mail program to show "all headers" or "source
code" of the given message, you might find there a written record in
more or less cryptic terms of the factors of the spam analysis, not only
the final score, as in your case. Your computing department should be
able to translate this into more human-readable language.

Just to make a wild guess at a possible scenario (I don't say it's
probable): if you 1) used a "To:" address with some "international"
character not enclosed in quotes, 2) sent the message as HTML, 3) used
the words "milllion" and "dollars" a couple of times, 4) accidentally
hit the "zero" key while aiming for the "O" key in some word, 5)
addressed your correspondents as "Dear Friend[s]", 6) inadvertently set
the text encoding to Korean (typing in English with no ethnic
characters, you might not notice), and a number of things like that, it
might have contributed to the spamminess of the message.

Spammers fake the "From:" header, BTW, so there is probably no reason
mail apparently from yourself should be exempt from spam rules by
default. I sometimes receive notices of non-deliverability for messages
I have never sent.

--
---
Kjetil Rå Hauge, U. of Oslo, PO Box 1003 Blindern, N-0315 Oslo, Norway

options, and more. Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at:

We are moving (again)!
Please note new address,
effective July 1, 2006:

Katia Dianina