clarification on visa silliness

Olga Mesropova olgames at IASTATE.EDU
Mon May 21 17:42:19 UTC 2007

Renee,

I've just had the same problem of not being able to get my students
expedited visas at the DC consulate.  My group was going to St.Petersburg
but NOT to St.Petersburg State University.  This said, I am not sure that
Petersburg State is the target here.

Best,

Olga

Olga Mesropova, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Russian
Director, Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies
Associate Editor, NWSA Journal
Iowa State University

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Renee Stillings
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2007 12:27 PM
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] clarification on visa silliness

Today I clarified a rather interesting tidbit regarding the visa issue I
described earlier. Apparently at the DC consulate, this policy of slowing to
10 business days processing is being applied SPECIFICALLY to students going
to St. Petersburg State University. It is beyond me as to whether this is
because they have a larger volume than anyone else and the consulate is
flooded with their applications or someone in the consulate has some
vendetta against that university. If anyone has insights into this, it would
be appreciated. The visa expediter helping us on this matter now says there
has historically always been an issue with St. Pete invites at that
consulate.

Renee