Krylatye slova

Paul Richardson paulr at RUSSIANLIFE.NET
Tue May 22 16:52:12 UTC 2007

Dear SEELANGERS:

We want to start offering readers a short list of current krylatye
slova and neologisms in each issue of our magazine, Russian Life. And
we invite your submissions of word and phrase discoveries. They
should be in current use and something like:

1) old words used in new and interesting ways, or old, culturally-
charged words returning to the fore;

2) neologisms which seek to be "true" Russian words, using Slavic roots;

3) complete mash-ups, for example a photographer recently wrote that
he was sending us "превьюшки" (prev'yushki) - i.e. previews;

4) interesting twists on set phrases (perhaps this is where to put
the email greeting I seem to be getting with increasing frequency
from temporally differentiated Russians: Доброго
времени суток, Dobrovo vremeni sutok);

Email your discoveries directly to us at: editors at russianlife.net and
cc the list if you like, to share them immediately with others. Where
relevant, please provide citation, context, and - if spoken or
written by a public official, that person's name and title.

We will credit you if we use your contribution (unless you tell us
not to), and the best contribution for each bimonthly issue will be
offered a gift of a free tshirt!

We look forward to hearing from you.

Paul Richardson
Publisher and Editor