Platonov and 'Ya chuvstvuyu"

Josh Wilson jwilson at SRAS.ORG
Wed May 23 06:12:54 UTC 2007

>As for my original question - in some respects I like the suggested
>translation 'I bleed railway ties', but it is only very rarely indeed, esp.
>in his later work, that Platonov uses an image as shocking as that.

Interesting, when I suggested it, I did not consider it at all shocking.
Simply a play on words. Actually, I still don't see it as shocking -
certainly much more mild than the little boy's statement to his dead father.

Maybe this is a difference between "American" and... that other language?

Best,

JW

P.S. Isn't it also interesting that I phrased it "rail ties" and Mr.
Chandler turned it into "railway ties" (which I don't think flows near as
well...) Language is fascinating...